** IN PROGRESS **
Historically, one of the trickier tasks for XMLTV has been installing Perl and all the necessary modules for Windows. The situation has been made much better with the release of the Windows XMLTV distribution that includes a prepackaged PERLApp executable called XMLTV.EXE.
There are times when folks would like to run native XMLTV or other Perl programs on Windows. This Page documents the process I followed to do it using Strawberry Perl.
Strawberry Perl is a perl environment for MS Windows containing all you need to run and develop perl applications. It is designed to be as close as possible to perl environment on UNIX systems.
Strawberry Perl is a Windows Perl distribution that includes a compiler (gcc) and other tools that allow you to install packages from CPAN just like you would on a Unix/Linux system.
WARNING: I don't recommend using any directories with spaces or other special characters in them!
IMPORTANT: Unlike Windows, Perl is case-sensitive: "makefile.pl" is NOT the same as "Makefile.PL"
1. Download/Install Strawberry Perl (I use c:\strawberry )
2. Verify your Strawberry install by opening a windows command prompt (cmd.exe) and executing "perl -v". (You type "exit" to close the command prompt.)
3. Drill down the XMLTV Sourceforge Distribution site and grab the latest non-Win32 XMLTV distribution (for example: xmltv-0.5.65.tar.bz2.
4. Extract tar.bz2 source tree to a local directory (I use c:\xmltv) . I use 7-Zip. Note, you may have do it twice (first unzip to .tar, then to folder.
5. Open a windows command prompt (cmd.exe) and CD to the local directory you specified above (e.g. c:\xmltv).
6. Execute "perl Makefile.PL". Look for the XMLTV utility you would like to use. Is it already "yes" to include? If not, answer the questions and note the modules the Makefile.PL says you need to include.
7. I installed the prerequisites with these commands. You only need to do the ones you need. ( I prefer ppm over CPAN )
ppm install Date::Manip ppm install XML::DOM ppm install XML::Twig ppm install Tk ppm install Tk::TableMatrix cpan install HTTP::Cache::Transparent cpan install DateTime cpan install DateTime::Format::ISO8601 cpan install XML::Writer
8. Execute 'dmake clean' and then 'perl Makefile.PL' again... repeat step 6 until you're happy.
9. Build XMLTV normally 'dmake'
10. You can test XMTLV if you wish 'dmake test', but I fail 2/5 programs, 26/125 subtests
11. Install to strawberry's bin folder with 'dmake install' (it will fail, but important stuff is there)
12. *PROFIT* (for example, cd to another directory and type tv_grab_na_dd --configure )
We should work on fixing the test and install parts of the Makefile for windows! :)